The alleged shooter of the massacre in New Zealand pleads innocent

Alejandro Figuera
2 min read

The alleged shooter of the massacres that resulted in two mosques in New Zealand, where 51 people were killed, pleaded not guilty in front of the court.

The Australian Brenton Tarrant, aged 28, he appeared on a video link broadcast inside a maximum security prison for a hearing he had on Friday at the Christchurch High Court in Christchurch, New Zealand.

He is charged with 51 counts of murder, 40 charges for attempted murder and only one charge for the terrorist practice that was linked to the massacre on Friday, March 15 in Christchurch, where his lawyer chose not to convict him.

The alleged shooter of the massacre in New Zealand pleads innocent
Brenton Tarrant in court. (The Fiji Times)

In the courtroom the use of cameras was not allowed, only those that belong to the government entity; the atmosphere was tense, since the public was a large number of survivors and also the majority of relatives of those who were killed.

The most brutal terrorist attack in the history of New Zealand

The worshipers who were in the mosques were gunned down while their religious activity was going on; the shooter started in one and ended the massacre in another that was considerably close, in the suburb of Linwood.

The government, citizens and history describe it as the deadliest terrorist attack since the nation was founded.

Facebook said present at the Christchurch massacre

Technology has advanced by leaps and bounds, unfortunately the benefit of development can have both good and bad consequences.

From beginning to end, the author of this horrible massacre, transmitted live through Facebook Live the crimes committed.

According to the statements of the New Zealand police, Brenton Tarrant, wrote a manifesto before starting to shoot and sent it by email to dozens of recipients, among them was the office of the prime minister.

The alleged shooter of the massacre in New Zealand pleads innocent
An officer securing the area in front of a mosque after the massacre on March 15. Tessa Burrows / AFP / Getty Images.

Hardly six days later, Jacinda Ardern, the Prime Minister of New Zealand, announced the immediate ban of all weapons of semi-automatic military model. This type of weapon was used and recorded by the shooter in the March 15 massacre.

Barrett Torrent remains in custody in Auckland, New Zealand, until his next hearing on August 16.