Listen to this story
Netflix suspends film that would star Will Smith
The streaming platform suspended production of the movie "Fat and Loose", which starred Will Smith.
The decision was made after the actor resigned from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in Hollywood, when he was involved in a scandal last Sunday, physically and verbally assaulting comedian Chris Rock for making an uncomfortable comment towards his wife. at the 2022 Oscar Awards. This was announced by The Hollywood Reporter.
According to the report, this project had been left without direction a few weeks ago, when David Leith (who was the director), decided to produce the movie "Fall Guy", whose protagonist is Ryan Gosling.
Sources close to the production said that Netflix was looking for a new producer to continue with the film, since it promised to be a success due to its protagonist, who was about to win an Oscar for best actor for his participation in "King Richard ". But due to the scene of violence towards one of the presenters of these awards, Netflix did not continue with the film.
The film was about a criminal boss who loses his memory after suffering an attack, but when he strangely wakes up in Mexico, he has the need to investigate the reasons that led him to that place and that is when he discovers that he had a double life, one like a rich capo and another as a bankrupt CIA agent.
Likewise, a source told The Hollywood Reporter that the feature film for the Sony channel, "Bad Boys 4", where Will Smith already had 40 pages in his hands, was also suspended indefinitely, despite the fact that pre-production of said film had begun. long before the 2022 Oscar Awards.
Smith's resignation from the Academy
Will Smith decided to resign from the Hollywood Academy days after the unusual Oscar 2022, in which CODA took the award for "Best Picture".
Smith's decision was advanced in relation to the one that the board of directors will take on April 18, in reference to the violent action of the actor against one of his companions; and where the sanction that will be applied to the protagonist of "The Prince of Rap" will be defined.
In the statement where Smith presented his resignation, he apologized again and emphasized his bad actions, which tarnished the night for many of his fellow winners.
"The list of people I have hurt is long. It includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all attendees and global audiences. I betrayed the trust of the Academy," Smith wrote in the release.
In addition, he assured that he is very sad about what happened and wants to focus on those who deserve attention for their achievements. Similarly, he noted that the decision was made with the aim of allowing the Academy to continue with the good work it does to support creativity and art in film.
"Change takes time and I am committed to doing what is necessary to never again allow violence to override reason," he said.
Finally, it was known that the decision was accepted, but it is not yet known if the sanction of the board of directors will be much stronger. Possibilities include banning the actor from attending future ceremonies or preventing him from being nominated again on future occasions.