Listen to this story
FBI will have to pay more than 100 million dollars for the massacre in Parkland
The US investigative agency acknowledged that it did not follow up on the leads it received about the case.
The United States Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) will have to pay the families of the victims of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, Florida, between $125 million and $130 million, because it ignored to the clues he had received from the actions of the young Nikolas Cruz, the perpetrator of the crime.
This shooting was carried out on February 14, 2018, by 19-year-old Cruz who killed 17 people and injured the same number of victims among school employees and students.
Investigations indicate that the first clue the FBI received said that Nikolas “was going to explode”, in addition to the fact that the student already had a problematic behavior, which had generated suspicion among people who knew him.
For its part, the FBI pointed out that it had also received a complaint from a woman, who pointed out that Cruz possessed weapons, had a desire to kill people, his erratic behavior was evident and made strange publications on social networks, however, the agency He acknowledged that he did not heed this call.
For this reason, the parents of the murdered students filed a lawsuit in 2018 against the FBI for not acting in time on the clues received.
On the other hand, the authorities in 2017, a year before the attack, had received an alert, since on YouTube, a user who identified himself as Nikolas Cruz had left a message on this video platform, where he said that it was going to be a “professional school attacker”.
The official of the investigation agency in Miami, Robert Lawsky, explained that the FBI in the case of the YouTube message carried out the pertinent checks in the databases, however, they could not identify the person who wrote the text.
Due to this “oversight” by the FBI, now the United States Department of Justice must pay between 125 and 130 million dollars to the families of the fatalities, as I mentioned earlier.
A troubled young man
Cruz's behavior before the event had been classified by his classmates and high school workers as problematic, in fact in 2017 he was expelled from the educational institution "for disciplinary reasons."
A student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School said in an interview that young Nikolas always carried guns, “he was crazy about them”, which he showed to other classmates.
Cruz had also been investigated by Parkland police and the Department of Children and Family Services after he posted videos of self-harm on Snapchat.
In mid-October this year, Nikolas Cruz pleaded guilty to all 17 counts of murder and 17 counts of attempted murder.
In his statement in a Florida court, Cruz stated that he regretted what he had done, and that if he had a second chance he would do what was necessary to try to help others, while expressing that he did not care if they believed him, because he would have to live with it every day.
Zachary Cruz, brother of the Parkland killer, said he was satisfied with his brother's guilty plea. "I am pleased that he takes responsibility for his actions," he told a Florida media outlet; at the same time, he asserted that he was praying for the victims and their families to find peace.