Listen to this story
Breton crêpes or galette bretonne
This French food dish has been characterized as the result of a crêpe, cheese, egg and ham.
These crêpes, also known as galettes, are one of the recipes used for breakfast or dinner, since they have the necessary nutritional complement.
It is certainly a dish that requires a little patience, but the result is totally worth it.
Origin of Breton crêpes
At first, they were made with serracene wheat flour found in the northern region of France. Currently, they are made with wheat flour, as in this particular, with a little spelled flour.
At first, this type of base was prepared as a bread, however, later this recipe was born, changing the perspective of crêpes. It can be said that it is France's version of Spain's egg sandwich.
Considerations for a perfect crêpe
One of the important factors to consider is the consistency of the dough and the movement of the dough in the pan. Another relevant point is the temperature of the pan.
When you have mastered these aspects, your crêpes will be perfect. Remember that these are prepared for both sweet and savory dishes.
This time we will prepare a dish for 8 people. So you must have:
For the mass
- To this olive.
- 650 milliliters of water.
- 1 egg.
- 200 grams of serracene wheat flour.
- 130 grams of spelled flour.
For the filling
- 8 eggs.
- 300 grams of cheese.
- 250 grams of York ham.
How to make a Breton crêpe or Breton galette?
This preparation will not take you more than 20 minutes to do.
1. To begin, you will need to make the batter for the crêpes. You just need to put all the ingredients in the same container and mix them well.
You can do it manually or with an electric mixer, just don't go too far, so there isn't as much air in the dough.
2. When ready, cover it with plastic wrap and wait for 2 hours for the flour to hydrate properly.
3. While the time is up, get the filling ingredients ready. Cut the ham into strips and grate the cheese.
At the end of the time, it is time to cook the crêpes. For it:
4. Heat the pan and melt some butter. Try to spread it over the entire surface.
You can help yourself with a doll to avoid excess fat.
5. When the butter is melted, place with the help of a ladle or small cup, a portion of dough in the pan.
6. Now, with a firm movement, spread it all over the base of the pan.
7. Next, turn the flame to low to cook the crêpe.
8. When the edges are browned, it's time to turn.
9. At this point, add the cheese mountain in the center and the egg.
10. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover to speed up the process and prevent the crêpe from burning.
11. When the egg is cooked a little, you can add the York ham.
If it is more feasible for you, make some openings in the dough so that the egg cooks better.
12. When the cheese has melted, fold the edges to form a square, leaving the egg yolk in the center. And voilà!
Now, repeat the process with all the dough to form these wonderful galettes. You must be attentive to the heat, since, eventually, it can get too hot, and you have to work quickly.
Recommendations and variants
For those who like the yolk to be cooked, you can prepare it separately and add it to the galette when the cheese is melted along with the ham.
If you want to just make the crêpe and fill it with the ingredients, that's fine too. You just have to turn the crêpe over and remove after a few minutes.
As you will see, the topic is about knowing the indicated cooking times of each part. Do not be discouraged if they do not come out perfect at first, with time you will improve.